Although the history of Kusadasi is quite old, hardly any traces of early settlement here remain today other than a section of a cyclopean wall. The town is conveniently located for those wishing to make visits to such famous sites as Ephesos, Miletos, and Priene and so it can be forgiven if it lacks much in the way of history itself. Trips can also be made from Kusadasi to the ruins of the ancient oracular cities of Claros with its temple to Apollo and Teos with its temple to Dionysos.
Kusadasi means “Bird Island” and the town takes its name from the little island (whose name in Turkish means “Pigeon” or “Dove Island”)) that is in the harbor and is now connected by a causeway to the shore. The little fort on the island was built in 1834 as a military outpost during the Morean rebellion. About the only other old buildings worth examining are the Kaleici mosque, built-in 1618, and the Ottoman caravanserai built by Okuz Mehmet Pasha in 1618. The latter has been restored and is now used (appropriately enough) as a hotel.