Although the history of Kusadasi is quite old, hardly any traces of
early settlement here remain today other that a section of a cyclopean wall. The town is
conveniently located for those wishing to make visits to such famous sites as Ephesos
, and Priene
and so it can be for given if it lacks much in the way of history itself. Trips can also
be made from Kusadasi to the ruins of the ancient oracular cities of Claros with its
temple to Apollo and Teos with its temple to Dionysos.
Kusadasi means "Bird Island" and the town takes its name from
the little island (whose name in Turkish means "Pigeon" or "Dove
Island")) that is in the harbor and is now connected by a causeway to the shore. The
little fort on the island was built in 1834 as a military outpost during the Morean
rebellion. About the only other old buildings worth examining are the Kaleici mosque,
built in 1618 and the Ottoman caravanserai built by Okuz Mehmet Pasha in 1618. The
latter has been restored and is now used (appropriately enough) as a hotel.