The Haseki Hospital (1539 or 1550-57) was commissioned especially for women
by Hurrem Sultan. Here, three sides of a bevelled courtyard are occupied by
rooms, the fourth side forming a grill-windowed facade facing the street. Eyvans
are situated at two of the bevelled corners while the two other bevelled corners
give onto the entrance hall and the lavatories. The plan of the eyvans and their
triple-tromped dome announces future developments in sinan's treatment of domes
and cupolas. Double-domed patient halls are reached from the eyvans. The
hospital has a separate kitchen and service area.
The suleymaniye Hospital (1550-57), consists of two successive porticoed
courtyards situated opposite the medical medrese. The first of these served as a
kind of polyclinic. Due to the sloping site, the building also has a basement,
with rooms opening onto the street, which were used as kervansarays and stables.
On the same floor, a long and narrow area, illuminated from the courtyard above,
was designed for patients suffering from incurable mental illnesses. The
building had its own pharmacy, hamam and bakery. Used today as a student hostel,
it has lost much of its original character.
The Atik Valide Hospital (1579 or sometime before 1583) in Uskudar consists
of a porticoed courtyard surrounded by patient rooms, a kitchen, a hamam, a
laundry and a small prayer hall. The building has served numerous different
purposes and has thus lost much of its original appearance, especially in the