This mosque represents the most advanced stage of the single-dome model.
Here, a large (20 m) and high (35 m) single dome dominates the whole structure.
The dome is supported by four pilasters rising to form a sort of bearing tower
like system consisting of four arches and four pendentives.
The four pilasters are polygon shaped and protrude on the exterior so as to be
almost unnoticeable from the interior, which thus takes on the form of a neatly
cut crystal. The light penetrating through the windows reinforces this
crystalline effect while rendering the structure less perceptible. The thickness
of the arches is attenuated by the walls between them, which are filled with
numerous and ornate windows, having lost all bearing function. The bareness of
the central area, the covering dome of which takes on the purity of a modern
concrete structure, also prevails on the four facades, while the general plan
has been widened with naves.
The outer effect of the mosque is not as successfully achieved as the
interior.The four facades are only made up of four arches and the windows
inside them,: but the kiblah wall (facing Mecca, which in Turkey roughly
corresponds to the south) has been uniquely designed, completely freed of its
bearing or abutment function. The polygonal pilasters on each corner, the
exceptional height of the body of the mosque and the rising dome generally seem
to herald some early baroque era. The minaret, which may have been rebuilt after
an earthquake, is very tall and slim, separated from the main body. The building
presents interesting similarities with mosques built later, such as the
Nurosmaniye (1755), the Ayazma (1760), the Nusretiye (1826), the Mecidiye
(1848), the Ortakoy (1850) or the Dolmabahce (1855).